Hey everyone! I thought I’d share some pregnancy notes now that I’m into my second trimester. I still love the PF community and have a lot to share, especially the financial implications of having a little one, but all these experiences have been quite new and fun for me, so I’ll table the PF aspect for a future post. Thanks, as always, for stopping by!
1) Maternity pants, where have you been all my life?!? They look like dress pants, but have the forgiveness of sweat pants, and that’s a win-win in my book! I wouldn’t put it past me to rock these bad boys forever. ;) It’s also been a muumuu summer (or as the kids these days call them, “maxi dresses”… but so much more fun to call them muumuu).
2) My running has waned because it hasn’t been that much fun to get as many miles in to be honest, but I’ve rediscovered my love for spin class! I’ve also managed to meet a couple of new mothers there, and that’s been really nice to share experiences with.
3) In the first trimester, all I wanted were naughty, deep fried foods, but I’m glad to report that this trimester, I’m craving healthier foods, especially steamed vegetables and watermelon (holy wow, so much watermelon, I conservatively estimate eating approximately 438 pounds of it). My appetite is a bit more steady-state, as well, though I do cave in to the occasional cravings of pupusas, saag paneer, tater tots, or pan fried noodles.
4) Obviously I love B very much, but these past few months my love for him has grown on so many levels. Not only is he patient with my mood swings, but he also talks to Flash (we’ve now nicknamed him this after a joke that we should name him “Flash Gordon” (don’t worry, we won’t!)) and it’s the most endearing thing to watch. I think he talks to him more than he does to me now, not sure.
1) Hair grows at an increasingly substantial rate – it’s alarming really, and all over my body. Plus I’m starting to get bacne which I’ve never had, and there’s more… fluids… just lots and lots of fluids. The doctor said it’s normal and probably more frequent during hot summer months, so good thing we’re lined up to visit the desert in September!! (/end sarcasm)
2) I’m still in that weird awkward stage where it looks like I’m just gaining weight (which, well I am…). I’m hoping the little ‘pop’ will come out so it doesn’t look like a spare tire in my gym clothes soon, though with the beginning aches of back pain, I understand I should also just relish this period while the discomfort has been pretty mild.
3) I still manage to get up fairly early (before 4:30 most days), though I’ve definitely indulged in 8-9 hours of sleep these past few weeks. I don’t think I’ve slept this much since puberty (where I had my whopping growth spurt up to 5’3 ;)), and while it’s been nice, it sure does cut away at my day’s productivity.
1) I was running on the treadmill and the guy who uses the treadmill next to me one day said, “Hey, I finally ran more miles than you!” I snapped with, “You better, I doubt you’re pregnant!!!” and stormed off. I did think afterward, “Hrm, maybe I should have handled that better…”, but in my defense, I’ve never talked to him before. He did approach me a couple of weeks later and asked how I was doing, and ever since we’ve been friends.
2) My favorite gym couple asked how I was able to know Flash was a boy so soon, and I told them I was able to take blood tests since I’m AMA (advanced maternal age). The husband, afterward, asked his wife what it meant, and when she told him, he argued with her that it was impossible, that there’s no way I’m even over 30 let alone 35, and AMA must mean “Asian Mom Association” or something. lol
3) Admittedly, this is still largely such a foreign concept to me. There is an organism with a beating heart (and an “outie”, so to speak!) growing inside me, and that is a very trippy thing to wrap my head around. I also picked up a watermelon one day and B said “hey, that’s coming out of you soon!” and it took all of that day’s willpower to not hurl it at him.
4) One day, I put my hand on my belly and thought “oh my gosh, I think I feel the heart beat!” But then, I checked the pulse on my neck, and thought “oh, wait, it’s just my own…”
5) Last Sunday, I felt some slight thuds in my belly while we were on the couch, and I said to B “I think I feel him… I THINK I FEEL THE FLUTTERS!!!” Of course, once I said the latter part, it went away, and I haven’t felt them since. Oh dear, I’m an overbearing mother already! :/
Anyway, I’d love to hear some updates on your corner of the world! I’ve noticed some of my favorite bloggers also haven’t posted as frequently, but I’m guessing it’s because the summer days are just too precious to not enjoy. I just hope everyone is well, staying healthy, and getting their financial responsibility on! :)