I’ve been glued to the latest news of the Boston explosions recently – as much as it sickens me that some malicious asshole(s) did this, I am glad to see and read about the tales of heroism and kindness during the aftermath. These stories have moved me to tears, and restores any doubt in my faith in humanity. Rather than try to say anything about it, I’ll just defer to Patton Oswalt who stated it best.
Anyway, I am a couple of days late for my midpoint check in of my April goals, but here’s my progress so far (probably click for better view):
1) Run 75 miles, with 2 hill repeats sessions on Torrey Pines – on track with 58% miles completed and 1 hill session! My achilles have been hurting lately, though, so I might lower mileage next month and add spin classes or “Stairway to Hell” (aka revolving staircase) sessions.
2) Meet all the calisthenic metrics (burpees, side planks with push-ups, walking lunges, push-ups), and 4 each of back/bi, chest/tri, delts/legs sessions – aside from push-ups, I think I’m fairly on target. Knowing that I have to report it has motivated me to get up earlier so I can complete my running and lifting sessions, so that’s pretty cool.
3) 12 sweets this month – ruh-oh, Shaggy, I’m 2/3 into my Scooby snack “rations” for the month. The beginning of the month was stressful work-wise, which probably explains my stress eating during that time period. Not sweating this part, yet.
4) Stick to or go under $600 in expenses (groceries, going out, gas, gifts, miscellaneous), and meet a 25% want metric – man, apparently I’ve been a little crazy with spending. If I stayed home for the rest of the month, I would be okay, but this weekend I’m going to OC to help some family members move (part of my family drama from before), and I have a feeling I’ll be footing any meal bills (plus I need to pay for gas to get up there). I can control most of the grocery bills at home, though, so maybe it’ll balance out in the end, or at least not have it be so high.
5) Study Spanish for at least 10 hours – even though I use this spreadsheet on a daily basis, I spaced on this goal. Unless watching “Amorres Perros” for the 156th time counts? Didn’t think so. How about listening to Spanish music on my runs? No? Man, you’re a tough judge… I’ll make it up.
6) 4 new healthy recipes – yes, kind of, since some of these recipes aren’t full on healthy or too easy to make, so I’ll try out more this month. A friend and I brought brunch to a couple who recently had a baby, so I made egg mini frittatas (from leftover Easter ham) and gluten-free waffles with blueberries for them (holy crap, gf flour is expensive!). I also tried this chicken and quinoa dish (super yums), as well as this mini-pizza muffin recipe, again with leftover Easter ham. For dessert, I’m trying to find lower-fat stuff since B and I both have a sweet tooth, and tried this pudding and graham cracker recipe out (minus the cool whip and using nonfat milk). It was pretty tasty and letting it sit overnight gave the graham cracker a cake-y texture. I’m going to try it with vanilla pudding and strawberries next.
How are your April goals going so far? Any suggestions for May goals?