Hello everyone! I can’t believe August is almost gone and, more importantly, summer, as well! I think we might actually have a later summer in SoCal since it was dreary in June and July, though I suppose we can’t really complain since it’s constantly temperate. Anyway, here’ s a recap of how I did for my August goals:
1) Complete 60 miles of running – Pass, though contingent upon if I complete my 4 and 3 miler this Thursday/Friday.
2) Complete the 30 day Squat Challenge again, this time while using a 10-25 pound plate (reduce weight as I increase the number of squats), as well as the 30 Day Plank Challenge – Kind of. When I was squatting with weights, my legs constantly felt like lead during my runs, so I ditched the plates. I’m definitely seeing results after two months of it, though, and B has as well since he accused me of flexing my quads one time when I wasn’t – hurray! For the plank challenge, I did well up to 2.5 minutes, then I couldn’t really hold for 3, 4, 5 minutes. So what I did for those days was hold on for as long as I can, and any remaining amount left, I would finish in another set (or two). I am pretty amazed by it, though, since I’m now up to 3.5 minutes when before 2 was the most I could hold. The body adapts quickly, and I’d recommend that challenge to anyone!
3) Pay off $800 of my debt – Fail. I was
a bit of a spending glutton this month, I’ll own that. I bought running shoes since my old ones had over 400 miles, as well as plane tickets to visit my parents to spend time for my mom’s 60th. I also paid for the second Pre-Cana class, as well as the deposit for the dress that I initially had my eye on (explain more in #4). Total, I paid off $385 of debt this month.
4) Pay for the invites (materials) and second Pre-Cana class, start looking for a dress and photographer – Kind of. I didn’t pay for the invites yet but they should be ready next month (yay!), but did pay for Pre-Cana class and the deposit for my dress. I ended up buying the floor sample since it was the exact size and color I wanted, and haggled them to retouch up all the beading, add a back panel, dry clean it, take $100 off, and half off veil and shoes. I wanted a free veil and a deeper discount, but oh well, the dress is relatively new since it was a spring 2013 dress and 50% off is better than nothing, I suppose. Do you want to see? Well it was more rhetorical since I’m so excited about it and showing it anyway. 🙂
5) Spend 15 hours on Spanish – Fail. I only spent about 10 hours, and 2 hours of it was hiking with my old Spanish teacher where it was mostly me saying, “Ummm… como se dice… ummm…” 😉
6) Write 5 “love letters” to loved ones – PASS. I ended up doing this early on in the month – two of them weren’t really love letters but more gratitude letters to teachers who made an impact on my life – one English high school teacher who encouraged me to take tests to go the AP path, and another college professor who was influential in my “political awakening” I guess you can say. I received responses from them, and it was a pretty cool feeling for both parties. I also wrote the remaining three letters to those who are having a rough go in life, whether it’s a break up, being unemployed for numerous years, or going through some past stuff and having a hard time processing. Even if I’m frustrated or whatnot lately with wedding or work stuff, I do realize I have so much to be thankful for, and I can only hope that the friends that have been there for me in the past, I can be there for now and always.
I’m not sure if I’m going to have any September goals other than survive since Fall is always busy season, but I’ll at least strive to get my debt down lower despite paying for some hefty deposits in the next couple of months. If you had any goals in August, let’s hear how you did! 🙂