The past week, I was able to take a nice getaway to Seattle. It was B’s birthday, and though it was overcast the first three days, the last few were beautiful and sunny, which is exactly what I needed for some recharging and relaxation! Highlights from the trip include, but are not limited to:
1) I made my first cake-sized… well, cake! I mostly stick with quick breads and cookies, but was kind of proud to be able to make B’s family’s favorite. They all loved it, though, really, I don’t think anyone can mess up copious amounts of butter, sugar, and cream cheese.
2) I was able to unplug and read or watch trash TV (since B’s family gets channels we don’t get at home), and it was so nice to curl up and do this during the overcast days. We also took the family to see Red 2 and it was pretty hilarious – I love me some John Malkovich!
3) We happened to be there while it was free museum day around Seattle (first Thursday of the month), so it was nice to be able to take in some culture.
4) We were supposed to go to Sea Fair on B’s birthday, but unfortunately his friend couldn’t get his boat up on time. So, we opted for a hike with friends instead, and it was beautiful and challenging though short (less than 2 hours). You’ll notice in the group pic that B decided to play thumb war (see #7) with me when the person counted to three… for the record, I didn’t fight it since who wants to see a grown man cry on his birthday.
5) I met GMD!!! I was bummed because J’s car was broken into so I wasn’t able to hang with her for very long, but she is as sweet, awesome, and beautiful as she is on the interwebs! I tend to imagine what people’s voices are like when I read their blogs, and I imagined hers to be charismatic, bubbly, and cheerful, mostly because her posts are always as such. I thought I’d share that with her, but the words that decided to exit my mouth to convey this is “You sound like the girl in Clueless!” Hi foot – meet mouth! Thankfully, GMD understood what I meant, and it was great to finally meet her. When we walked into the coffee store, I looked way up to spot J since he’s like 12 feet tall, but it turns out it wasn’t hard to spot GMD since her smile totally lights up the room. She also doesn’t look anywhere near 30, so she needs to quit her trippin’. 😉 Her charming ways will definitely take her places!
6) I went on the Underground Tour, and it was meh. The tour guides totally make the tour, but the tour wasn’t anything too spectacular. It was still pretty interesting though, and my favorite historical tidbit was (spoiler alert) the most influential and wealthiest Madame back in the day had no one to leave her inheritance of a quarter of million dollars to, so it ended up funding the school systems. Knowledge!
Here’s some pics, enjoy!
Anyone else had or will have fun summer getaways this year?