Hey everyone, I thought I would give another monthly update of what’s going on in wedding planning land! We managed to take care of bigger items, and I’m feeling a lot more comfortable about our progress (though if I can be honest, I relaxed a lot once I found my dress. ;)).
1) Wedding favors received – these airline luggage tags came in and they’re super cute in person! I recommend that site as well (no affiliate) – they shipped out quickly, and were half the price of some other sites (plus gave me a modest discount when I asked). I’m *not* looking forward to inserting the name/table tags in them since they’re kind of tiny, though – if anyone knows of any elves looking for work, holla.
2) Catering booked! B and I long agreed we’re going buffet-style since we want guests to have serving size autonomy. After scanning for quotes and going on a couple of tastings, this company was easily the best value, and we decided to go with a stations idea. Stations are kind of like buffets, except people can select where to go and what time, rather than waiting in one big giant line. We went with tray-passed appetizers for cocktail hour, which is crab cakes, sesame beef, and brie and apricot jam in a puff pastry (my favorite). For the stations, we’re going with braised ribs over mashed potatoes, soy-glazed salmon over rice and slaw, and a Southern mac and cheese station where they’re served in a martini glass and they can put whatever toppings they want (bacon bits, prosciutto, berries, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.). The mac and cheese station also comes with sliders, though we might serve chicken instead. For the vegans/vegetarians, they get a plate of a tower of delicious roasted vegetables on quinoa. Everything was delicious and tasting was no doubt my favorite part (plus they were kind enough to box samples for B since he couldn’t make the appointment time).
3) Desserts kinda booked! We’re mostly doing cupcakes instead of a cake, but my mom also advised that some guests probably won’t like just cake and to have other forms of dessert… which pretty much reads to my mom wants lemon bars! 😉 So we’re going with the same catering company for a selection of desserts, and we’ll most likely only order a certain amount of cupcakes instead of 1 per guest. Actually – is that tacky? I would hate to be short on cupcakes, too, but we don’t want too much leftovers, so I’d love to hear thoughts on that.
4) Cake topper selected! On Etsy, there’s this one vendor who sells really cute cake toppers that will design the bride and groom according to what the couple’s actual hair, eye, and attire will look like! However, once I saw these adorable Star Wars one from the same vendor, we *knew* we had to select these instead, not only because we wore the same exact costumes last Halloween (well, he was a Jedi), but because it’s dorkily us. 🙂 And yes, I’m aware that we’re forever 12 years old in this respect… but hey, they’ll also be our future travel companions that we’ll take cool background shots of when we start our adventures in marriage together!
5) B selected his tuxedo – we’re still debating on ties since I didn’t like the red tie once he tried it on, but we’re for sure picking “Regency” as the groomsmen ties. It’s cool since they’re renting at Men’s Wearhouse (no affiliate), and since they’ve partnered with David’s Bridal (no affiliate), they’ll match the bridesmaid dresses. I’m letting my bridesmaids have autonomy of what dress they’d like, but I’m loving the vibrancy of regency.
6) Invite sample is in – and I am in love! My friend did such an amazing job, and she created a really cool aeronautical logo with our names. I’m not going to display it, but if anyone wants to take a gander, just let me know (well, so long as I kinda know you, at least).
So that’s that for now – we’re still on the hunt for a DJ though we have some quotes, as well as cupcake vendor and florist. I’m meeting with a local florist who has a wooden stand a few blocks from me, whom I love because whenever I go to a special occasion (like grandma’s birthday), I give her a given amount and ask her to do her magic, and she creates these beautiful arrangements. When she asked what I want for the bouquets, I merely said “red and round”, so she laughed and said she’ll have some samples for our appointment.
In October, we’re going to our second Pre-Cana class, and since this one’s a weekend retreat (we have to bunk with someone of the same sex who’s also getting married), it should be interesting!