Hi everyone! Since we’re fairly close to October’s end, I thought I would give a brief update on my debt repayment. This month didn’t have a flurry of September birthdays, but there were a couple more wedding payments (florist, DJ), which resulted in a repayment of $272. Michelle at Shop My Close Project posed a Black Friday Debt Payoff Challenge (to get rid of one bill), and I’m ready to get rid of the credit card balance once and for all. I wasn’t too worried about paying it off completely as I did with other credit cards earlier since this one is sitting at 0% interest through the end of the year. But, to keep things simple and since it will be end of the year before I know it, I’m committed to paying that off on Black Friday. Is anyone else doing her challenge? 🙂
Another thing I’ve been mulling over lately is signing up for a half marathon. Another PF blogger is practically forcing me to sign up for it (I won’t mention her name, but her blog rhymes with Mudget and the Meach)… I mean, look at what she wrote:
“Love the medal!! I don’t love the price either but wanted to do a big race. YES, I’m for sure doing it! DO IT!”
Did you see the big capital DO IT?! If that isn’t compulsory language, I don’t know what is! 😉
Okay, so obvi she isn’t forcing me… but I have been seriously considering it for the following reasons:
1) Awesome medal and schwag! Some gals love bling, I love me some race bling, and this one is in the shape of a surfboard! My favorite is the earthy look of Big Sur‘s, but this would easily take its place. I also love the race tee since it’s the trifecta of what I love most – long sleeves, v neck, pink!
2) I was going to sign up for a local one, anyway. I don’t know where we got the idea, but B and I are starting to talk about purchases that cost more than a given limit (as in, run things by each other). I already got the go-ahead from him with a local race, but it ended up being the weekend of my bridal shower so I put the kibosh on it. So this just kind of transfers?
3) Tonya’s running it, and Michelle and Kathleen are running another race the same day! What cooler way to hang out with another PF’er than a running event! It’s like being able to go to FinCon… except nothing at all like it.
However, now that I’ve learned some things from the PF-blogosphere, here’s some cons to it:
1) It’s pricey. It’s really expensive for a half (especially since a full is only $10 more), plus I’d have to consider transport costs since it’s not local. Lodging I’m not too worried about since I have family around there, at least.
2) I’m so close to no races this year – while technically the race isn’t until 2014, I’m paying for it this year. I also get concerned that if I allow myself this, would I revert back to my old ways? I don’t think I would, but thoughts like those are always in the back of my head.
3) This is 100% a want – as I had an extreme rush of excitement at the prospect of signing up, Shannon’s post on “How to Handle the ‘I Wants,'” quickly deflated that excitement as I realized I was on extreme emotional overdrive and tempered it down. I do feel I would have recognized this prior to actually making the payment, but it was kind of trippy how timely that worked out in reading that article!
So, I’ve decided to just give it time, muse over it for a few days, and then decide with full rationality and consciousness that this is what I want. Hopefully it won’t sell out by the time I decide, but even if it does, then that’s just a part of how things work out sometimes.