A local radio station has a bit every week called “You know what’s awesome…” Callers then chime in on what’s awesome, but the shtick is usually something sarcastic, like “You know what’s awesome… when you’re a third grade teacher and it’s flu season, and you’re talking to one student when another one comes up behind you, but by the time you get to them, they’ve thrown up all over the back of your pants.” So for levity’s sake, here’s some current things I’ve encountered that have been awesome.
So you know what’s awesome….
1) When you’re walking with a colleague and you think you’re about to head separate ways so you say, “Okay, well have a good meeting!” However, he doesn’t go the route you thought he would, so there’s this awkward silence that you try to make up with “So you have any plans for the-” before he splits off.
2) When you receive a modest raise, but you quickly realize that said raise now bumps you up to the next health care contribution tier, so the raise essentially just goes to cover it. (note: I brought it up and it all worked out, so yay.)
3) When you’re having an especially glorious morning run and as you’re nearing the end, you turn your neck to take a mental snapshot of the beautiful sunrise, and slip/land on your tuckus on a sandy and slanted part of the road. With bikers going the opposite way as witnesses.
4) When you’re trying out a new gym equipment line and you set the weights to what you think you “normally” use for the shoulder press. However, since it’s a different line the weight system isn’t calibrated the same (or probably labeled differently) so your arms maniacally skyrocket up since you made them too light. (note: at least this taught me to now slowly start the rep off, rather than just assume it’s the same.)
5) When you’re proofreading your sweetie’s monthly newsletters and you soon realize that this man must have a fear of commas and punctuation marks because there’s barely any in there and he has so many great thoughts but they all look like this lumped together. (note: hey love, if you read this, j/k only!)
6) When you offer the person behind you to go ahead since he only has one item, but once he pays for his stuff, he also wants a pack of cigarettes and apparently there’s only one person around to unlock the cigarette case that time of the day so you end up waiting for some time.
7) Another grocery line awesomeness – I always think I’m going to pick the shortest line, and I never do.
8) When you completely lack an internal compass, so you’ve learned over time that when you intuitively want to make a right, you instead make a left, and that’s when you get it right.
So tell me – what’s been awesome for you lately? 🙂