Hey everyone! I can’t believe it’s almost July in just a few short days! It’s been quite busy in my tiny corner of the earth, as work is always busy (in a very good way!), and I’m grateful to report that B and I are expecting a little one! 🙂 This first trimester has felt like FOR-ever as I wanted to keep it a secret, but I’ve slowly told family, friends, and coworkers, as well as have now publicly told it on FB. Here’s some experiences and thoughts I’ve collected these past few weeks!
1) When I took the pregnancy test, it was the longest 5 minutes ever and I was talking to myself thinking “if not this month, there’s another month, it’s okay, just relax…” Imagine my disbelief and happy surprise when I saw the second, albeit faint, line! I didn’t want to get my hopes up, so I took another one a couple days later with a more sure second line… and then 5 more throughout the week. 😉 I told a couple of friends right away since both are mothers and one’s a nurse, and they’ve been an amazing source of support for every worry, from freaking out that I ate turkey on my panini to did I just harm my baby by using ear wax remover drops.
2) I was kind of freaking out telling work since I started recently, but am relieved to get a tremendous amount of support and happiness for me. It was also so much fun telling my parents, as I gave them a frame with an ultrasound and a “Grandbaby” poem. It took them awhile to figure it out (and I think my dad was searching for his reading glasses lol), but I will cherish their reactions for the rest of my life. 🙂
3) I’ve had no problem playing the baby card any chance I get – I’ve often said “I think Taddy could go for some frozen yogurt” [nicknamed Taddy that week since a website described it as the size/shape of a tadpole] or “Do you mind doing the dishes? Kinda tired tonight, ya know, growing a human inside me and all.” B attempted to in the worst way possible when he tried to play the baby card by saying “baby wants sex.”
4) This is the primary reason why my fitness has been pretty basic – equal parts of me still being superstitious/old-fashioned and feeling guilty about “jostling” the kid around whilst running despite all these studies that say it’s okay, and me feeling nauseated anyway after 3 miles. Around Week 10, I started getting back into 4-5 miles, though only every other day and at 1-2 minutes slower per mile than usual.
5) I’ve been eating salty foods like no other – my favorite are cheddar rice cakes, California burrito (carne asada, guacamole, potatoes, salsa, and cheese in a burrito), tempura bowls, and any panini I can get my grubby hands on.
6) I also tried the complimentary pickle (the second or third in my whole life) that came with a panini to see if I’d start craving those like some pregnant women do. NOPE, still disgusting!
7) Upon finding out I was pregnant, my coworker stated, “Ooooh, so that’s why you have that whole stash of snacks in the drawer!” That awkward moment when I reply with, “Oh, no, I always keep that stash around…”
8) I’ve had mild nausea, but am susceptible to crazy heart burn. A big culprit was vinegar, which is unfortunate because I do love me some daily salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Now I’m mostly eating steamed veggies and that seems to keep the heart burn at bay.
9) We took a blood test since I’m of ‘advanced maternal age’, and we were beyond grateful to get genetic results back as healthy. We also found out the sex! Any guesses? 🙂
10) This is how I announced it on FB… because we’re geeks:
11) Not going to lie, when the doc showed me the two chromosomes (XX or XY) and asked if I knew what it was, it took me awhile as I went back into my AP Bio class memory to remember. lol
12) Seeing the baby’s heart beat on the ultrasound for the first time with B will easily be a permanent fixture on the Top 3 moments of my life.
Anyway, that’s my news lately, and the biggest reason why I’m more devoted than ever to increasing my savings rate as much as possible these days. Infant day care, as well as baby stuff in general, is pretty expensive, and finding our ‘forever’ house is still a project for us, so we’re doing all we can to set ourselves up for a secure (as possible) future. Now your turn – I’d love to hear anything new going on for you, or if you have pregnancy or parenting tips, I’d love to hear it! 🙂