Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you had a great Super Bowl weekend to those that watched. Mine was awesome since I not only ran a half-marathon in beautiful conditions and a great course (thank you, Sweet Baby Jesus, for keeping the rain away throughout the race… we could’ve done without the headwinds, but thank you regardless!), but I also got a chance to meet Tonya! Despite lacking some serious sleep for the past few days, she’s as sweet, nice, and funny as she is on her blog. She’s also a really cool and considerate roomie (gotta love the dynamics of “I’ll pay for this,” “No, *I’ll* pay for this), and we had a pretty good set-up for race day because Parking Karma was on our side. The course is beautiful, scenic for the most part, and pretty flat, so I highly recommend it. Plus, we got the cool surfboard medal, which is as stylish as they come in my opinion.
Afterward, I raced back home so B and I could go to his friend’s Super Bowl party. Since everyone there was a Seahawks fan, the house was totally crazy throughout the game! Both offense and defense played incredibly, and I thought the win was well-deserved. Another bonus of running a half the same day is that I was able to get my glutton on guilt-free with the great spread they had – 7-layer dip with lettuce on top that had a sour cream design of a football field? I’ll take a couple of yards, please! Chocolate-covered strawberries in the shape of footballs? Don’t mind if I do! Angry Orchard apple cider (since Washington is known for its apples)? Once it hits your lips, it’s *so* good! Two points if you get the last reference, by the way. 🙂
Other than that, there’s been a couple interesting financial scenarios that occurred these past couple weeks that made me realize that B and I are not aligning (yet!). They’re not bad or anything, but it made me realize that our past habits or strains of thought do not equate to a ‘we’ thinking as I still think of things as ‘me’ while he still thinks of things as ‘he.’ I’ll post about it once I gather my thoughts (and stop eating everything this side of the Mississippi). Also, here’s a quick rundown of how I’m doing so far with my 2014 goals:
1) Stay debt-free. Pass! Anything wedding-wise has been budgeted, and while my parents have requested some things that would increase our budget, I’ve managed to reason them out of it or just appeased them.
2) Have a ‘savings’ rate of 40-45%. FAIL! My savings rate was 32% rounded, which is at least higher than my 25% average last year (though I did have three paychecks this month). A large part of this was the above and my car needing some repairs (I had funds for this, but since I took out of ‘savings’ this was a negative saving). February might end up being the same thing, though I’m thinking by March or April that I’ll be able to accomplish this.
3) Read 24 books. 3 so far. I read “The Reason I Jump” (interesting though not what I expected), “Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls” (disliked, he seems a lot more negative, and not in a clever way), and “The Fault In Our Stars” (um, yeah, I didn’t realize this was a young adult novel until I started reading the dialogue. It made me cry, though).
4) Continue with Spanish. Fail. I did about 1-2 hours a week, when I should be doing it a day… I get really lazy after work and weekends have been a little cray.
5) Learn one new Filipino dish, and one new German dish, each month alternating- Fail. See excuse for #4.
It looks like everyone’s had a great January so far, but if you didn’t do a recap let me know how you did (or heck, if you did, tell me again or what you plan to do in February!).